Property Document

Document Recording Services

NOTICE: Please click here to learn about new recording requirements regarding minor changes to recorded documents effective January 1, 2017

Documents may be presented for recording in person, by mail, or by a representative. Please note the following:

  • Documents must be recorded in the county where the property is located.
  • The document should be legible.
  • Please include the name of the party requesting the recording, and a name and address where the document should be returned.
  • Please include a completed Preliminary Change of Ownership Report when recording documents affecting a change in the ownership of real property. These forms can be obtained from the Clerk-Recorder and Assessor Departments.
  • Payment can be made by cash, personal check, cashier's check, money order, Discover Card, American Express, MasterCard/Visa Credit and Debit.
  • Please include the recording fees due (see Fees), making checks payable to the:

 Orange County Clerk-Recorder

  • Mail your payment to the following address:  

Orange County Clerk-Recorder
County Administration South
601 N. Ross Street
Santa Ana, CA 92701

The office of the Orange County Recorder/Clerk cannot provide legal advice to the public and cannot assist the public in the preparation of legal documents. If you have any questions concerning which document form is appropriate to your transaction, or are in need of assistance in the preparation of that document, consult an attorney or obtain other professional advice

Questions? Call (714) 834-2887 to speak to a document examiner.

Recorded Real Estate Document Searches FAQ

                 (click on question to see answer)