Demographics / Outcomes

YOW Demographics/Outcome Data

FY 12/13

The following graphs and data provide information about the 224 consumers YOW served during fiscal year 2012-13.

Gender—The majority of consumers served by YOW, 185, are male. The remaining 39 are female.

Age—Most consumers, 83%, range in age from 18 through 25, with the remaining 17% ranging in age from 15 to 17 years old. None of the consumers served were younger than age 15 or older than age 25.

Ethnicity—Although a majority of YOW’s consumers are Hispanic and Caucasian, the program serves youth of diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds. Generally, the preferred language of consumers tends to be English regardless of ethnic or cultural background.

Education—At the time of admission in YOW, only 54 consumers were enrolled in school. Since YOW, 77 consumers enrolled in school.

Employment—At the time of enrollment in YOW, only 6 consumers were employed. Since being enrolled in YOW, 62 consumers have been employed.

Housing and Homelessness—In the year prior to enrollment in YOW, 87 (39%) consumers were in emergency shelters, temporary housing or homeless. Since enrollment in YOW, 18 (8%) consumers were homeless or in a shelter.

Psychiatric Hospitalizations—One of YOW’s goals is to reduce the number of consumers psychiatrically hospitalized. Before being enrolled in YOW, 13 (5.8%) consumers were hospitalized for at least one day. After enrollment in YOW, that number was reduced to 9 (4%).

Co-occurring Disorders—A diagnosis of both mental illness and substance abuse was present in 86% of the consumers served by YOW during the 12-13 fiscal year.

Incarceration Episodes—Another YOW goal is to reduce incarcerations. In the twelve months prior to enrollment in YOW, 204 out of 224 consumers, or 91%, were incarcerated. Since enrollment in YOW, 66 out of 224, or 29%, were re-incarcerated.