Special Events Permit - Filming Permit Process

Special Events which take place on County property or rights-of-way require an Encroachment Permit. The types of activities and events include but are not limited to:

  • Organized Run/Walk Events (e.g. 5k runs, relays, marathons, walk-a-thons)
  • Bicycle tours and races (using County roads, bike paths, Flood Control District property)
  • Rallys & Assemblies  (using streets, sidewalks, County  property)
  • Block Parties or Private Parties (held on County streets & sidewalks)
  • Mobile Clinics (set up on County streets, parking lots, or other property)
  • Filming events and activities (on County streets or other County property)

What is required?

Applicants or their authorized representatives should submit a permit application well in advance and not less than one month in advance of their event. A detailed description of the event/ activity should be included with the permit application.  Please include copies of site maps, event set up plans, locations for proposed staging areas, and course or route maps. 

NOTE:  Separate building permits for stages and other  structures 36 inches in height and above may be required by the Building and Fire Codes.  Tents, canopies, generators, and lighting may also require approval by the Building Official and/or the Orange County Fire Authority (OCFA). Any special event where food will be prepared and/or served may require additional permits/inspections by the Orange County Health Care Agency (HCA).  Please advise staff if you plan to have any of the above items as part of your event.  Staff will assist you in processing the necessary and required additional permits.

Traffic Control plans may be required for events that require: traffic detours, lane or road closures, or sidewalk closures.  All events held on County property or ROW will require liability insurance coverage from the applicant, which meets County specifications.  Please find all necessary forms under the Forms and Applications.

Fees and Payment

A non-refundable permit application fee, of $66.95, is required to begin the application process. Additional permit fees may apply.  All fees are based on the County Fee Ordinance which was adopted by the Board of Supervisors effective on May 1, 2015.  Additionally, a surety deposit may be required. The surety deposit is fully refundable upon successful compliance with the terms of the permit.

Accepted methods of payment for an Encroachment permit are credit card payments, cash, check, or money order (payable to County of Orange). Credit card payments can be made online by using the Credit Card Authorization Form. Payment can also be made in person in the County Permit office located at 601 N. Ross Street, Santa Ana, CA 9270.  Phone phone icon(714) 667-8888.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this permit process, please contact the Customer Service line at phone icon (714) 667-8888.